how to solve this issue??

I’m new in chipwhisperer and i;m usin chipwhisperer-lite.As soon as i open CWCapture.pyw and trying to load a script (AES simpleserial XMEGA) the system responses that usb port is not found.I;m in bootloader mode and can’t get out of this mode since i cannont load a new firmware as the port CM0 is not showed in the updated list.Can anyone help me please???

After installing ChipWhisperer on your PC, did you also install the USB drivers for the CW lite? This is a common error message when the USB drivers are missing or installed incorrectly. If you go to your ChipWhisperer install directory you should see a folder called Driverscwlite_usb_driver. These are the drivers you’ll need to install on your operating system in order to interface with the ChipWhisperer board.

If you believe your drivers were installed correctly, or your not sure how go about installing them, please send me another reply. In it please list what operating system, and what version of ChipWhisperer software you are trying to use. Also copy and paste any relevant error messages from the console in the software.

-Connor

Hi Conor!!! Thanks for your reply.I’m trying to open CWCapture.pyw , i can see the CWCapture window but the folowing errors occur.

INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.VisaScope: No module named visa
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.openadc_interface.ftdi.OpenADCInterface_FTDI’>: Needed imports for FTDI missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.picoscope_interface.picoscopes: No module named picoscope
INFO:Dictionary contains zero modules
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.PicoScope.PicoScopeInterface’>: ‘PS5000a’
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SASEBOGII: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SAKURAG: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.ChipWhispererSPI: No module named hid
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.smartcard_readers.pcsc: Smartcard libraries are missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.common.traces.TraceContainerMySQL: No module named umysql
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.auxiliary.FrequencyMeasure: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.resync_resample_zc: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.decimation_clock_recovery: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Running Script: ChipWhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA
WARNING:Failed to find USB Device
WARNING:Could not execute method run in script class UserScript: ‘KeyError: Parameter not found: [‘CW Extra Settings’, ‘Trigger Pins’, ‘Target IO4 (Trigger Line)’]:“Parameter not found: [‘CW Extra Settings’, ‘Trigger Pins’, ‘Target IO4 (Trigger Line)’]”’
INFO:Finished Script: ChipWhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA

Besides i tried to load the firmware in chipwhisperer-lite but didn’t manage to. As a consequence chipwhisperer is now in bootloader mode and stays there locked since i cannot find serial port ttyCM0 in my laptop.Any ideas ??
And thanks again for your time and help

I forgot to mention that i’m using linux 12.04 lts and chipwhisperer-lite two part (CW1173).

Ah, I see what you mean now. I’m having the same trouble trying to program the boot-loader from Linux. I am actively working on this issue, but have unfortunately not found a solution on Linux yet.

If you have access to a windows system you should still be able to reprogram the boot-loader from CW-Capture. You may have to install BOSSA and run it in the background to ensure a COM port for the CW-Lite shows up in the capture software.

I’ll keep working on this issue and let you know as soon as I have a solution for Linux systems

I went in my Chipwhisperer installation directory and didn’t manage to find the folder called Driverscwlite_usb_driver. Instead of this , i can find only a folder called cwlite_usb_driver.zip. Is there a chance i didn’t install the drivers correctly? How can i find out if the drivers are installed correctly or what i have to do in order to istall them correctly???

Those drivers are for the windows OS. Sorry for the confusion, I made the mistake of assuming your OS when I first replied to your question.

The drivers for Linux should be built in, and I believe they still work for a chipwhisperer that isn’t in boot-loader mode. It’s possible driver support for the bootloader was dropped from Linux. Still looking for a way to manually fix this.

Here is a link to our wiki that has the required set up steps for Linux and other operating systems. If you haven’t completed the set up for Linux give that a shot. If you done these steps already, let me know. Thank you for your patience, and I hope to find a solution to your problem soon.

I may have found a solution to your problem. Turn out the boot-loader on the chipwhisperer is not recognized by the Linux usbserial module by default. Here’s a list of steps that should fix your problem:

Unplug your chipwhisperer
Reboot your computer. DO NOT PLUG IN CHIPWHISPERER
Once logged back in open up a terminal
Run this command: sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x3eb product=0x6124
Plug in your chipwhisperer
Check that a serial port is now available using: ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
Assuming you now have a USB serial port open CWCapture.pyw
Run the connect_cwlite_simpleserial.py (It will fail, that’s ok)
Go to Tools >CW Firmware preferences
Click “Open SAM3U Update Widget”
Update the list and select the USB serial port you saw in step 6
Now click “Run Program”

If the programming is successful, connect_cwlite_simpleserial.py should connect you to your chipwhisperer.

Here is the source for this solution: wiki.micromint.com/index.php/TTY … rt_(SAM-BA

Let me know if this works for you!

Where do I find the connect_cwlite_simpleserial.py and how do i run it?

It worked!!! I tried many times the modprobe command before but I didnt’t unplug chipwhisperer so this command didn’t work.Now chipwhisperer is loading the example scripts being out of bootloader mode and working as it should be. I have installed the drivers correctly doing all the steps there are mentioned in the link you sent me but there are some errors that occur when i open CWCapture.pyw. Below I copy-paste the errors that occur in the terminal.

INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.VisaScope: No module named visa
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.openadc_interface.ftdi.OpenADCInterface_FTDI’>: Needed imports for FTDI missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.picoscope_interface.picoscopes: No module named picoscope
INFO:Dictionary contains zero modules
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.PicoScope.PicoScopeInterface’>: ‘PS5000a’
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SASEBOGII: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SAKURAG: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.ChipWhispererSPI: No module named hid
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.smartcard_readers.pcsc: Smartcard libraries are missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.common.traces.TraceContainerMySQL: No module named umysql
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.auxiliary.FrequencyMeasure: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.resync_resample_zc: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.decimation_clock_recovery: No module named matplotlib.mlab

Despite these errors CWCapture.pyw is working fine loading all the scripts, so have i something to do or just ignore these errors???
I have also to mention that I didn’t find connect_cwlite_simpleserial.py and i just loaded an example script although , the AES simpleserial on XMEGA.

Glad to hear you’re up and running again. Those messages you’re seeing shouldn’t pose an issue unless you plan on using third party hardware. If you downloaded ChipWhisperer software from a source other than our Github repository, some non essential files may be missing, and that is why you see those errors.

That script I was talking should be in the same spot you found the xmega_aes script. If you’re on an older version of ChipWhisperer, it may not be there. As you saw, you can run any script really, we just needed to do that once so we could gain access to the bootloader menu.

If you run into anymore issues, please don’t hesitate to come back to us for help.

-Best of Luck!

Despite the fact that Capture.pyw is working fine these errors that exist don’t let me run correctly the capture. The python console for example doesn’t show the scripts that run when I load a script. And when I run make in a tutorial (for example simpleserial-base,in tutorial 1) I don’t get the expected output since xmega is not recognized…is there anything I could do more?I have followed the installation progress correctly and for many times.so is there any chance the modules that miss make CWCapture.pyw work incorrectly??

Those warnings aren’t indicative of the issues your having. Unfortunately, my only suggestion would be to do a fresh install of avr-gcc compiler for your ‘make’ issues.

From what I’ve heard it sounds like your CWCapture program is running properly. If you wish to try and resolve the warning messages I’d recommend also doing a fresh install of ChipWhisperer from our Github repo. Downloading the source from another repository will most likely leave you with similar warnings.

My problem is that CWCapture.pyw occurs some errors such as the fact that no data populate in the Text Out field of the monitor window when I’m doing the tutorials. Also when opening the CWAnalyser.pyw I cannot load an existing .cwp file since an error comes out.That’s why I thought tha some files are missing and maybe I had to import some plugins.From what you told me I understand that chipwhisperer may be broken or something so I 'll try to install again chipwhisperer from your site and load again the scripts and see if this works.

You were right Conor, a fresh install of ChipWhisperer from your Github repository solved all my problems. I did all the necessary steps and installed a version compatible with my Two-Part Chipwhisperer-Lite. Now it works fine and I can load all the necessary scripts without any errors… I really appreciate your help since without you I would still be stucked in the bootloader mode in Chipwhisperer and wouldn’t know of how to solve these warnings. If another issue occurs I’ll let you know and don’t hesitate to ask for your help!!