Discussions on Python software that powers the ChipWhisperer system
#1065 by Richard555
Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:29 pm
I'm using the latest software: chiipwhisperer & python-picoscope from git, and latest Picoscope SDK. Separately, the Picoscope & ChipWhisperer software + ChipWhisperer Lite work properly.

However, I'd like to use the Picoscope with the ChipWhisperer Lite board. I see the hole for the measurement probe, and the hole (#16) for the trigger probe. Using the Picoscope software, I'm able to get a good signal.

I have tried two things:
    1. I opened the ChipWhisperer software, selecting:
      1. Scope: PicoScope
      2. Target: Simple Serial
      3. Trace: ChipWhisperer/Native
    2. Scope Settings, selecting PS6000, with trigger as Probe D.
    3. Target settings confirming the default options for NewAE USB (CWLite/CW1200)
    4. In the icon bar, I select the icon for Scope:Connect, and the scope's fan starts and the scope connects.
      Code: Select allINFO - Scope Connected
    5. In the icon bar, I select the icon for Target:Connect, and it all falls apart:
      Code: Select allERROR - Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/home/richard/Documents/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-git/software/chipwhisperer/capture/ui/CWCaptureGUI.py", line 157, in doConDisTarget
          if self.api.connectTarget():
        File "/home/richard/Documents/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-git/software/chipwhisperer/common/api/CWCoreAPI.py", line 260, in connectTarget
          self.getTarget().con(scope=self.getScope())
        File "/home/richard/Documents/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-git/software/chipwhisperer/capture/targets/_base.py", line 66, in con
          self._con(scope)
        File "/home/richard/Documents/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-git/software/chipwhisperer/capture/targets/SimpleSerial.py", line 107, in _con
          self.ser.con(scope)
        File "/home/richard/Documents/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-git/software/chipwhisperer/capture/targets/simpleserial_readers/cwlite.py", line 84, in con
          self.cwlite_usart = CWL_USART(scope.qtadc.ser)
      AttributeError: 'PicoScopeInterface' object has no attribute 'qtadc'
    1. Starting with an existing script: Project -> Example Scripts -> ChipWhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA
    2. The board connects and the first trace is displayed in the GUI.
      Code: Select allINFO - Running Script: ChipWhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA
      INFO - Found ChipWhisperer-Lite, Serial Number = 00000000000000000000000000000000
      INFO - SAM3U Firmware version = 0.11 b0
      INFO - FPGA programmed
      INFO - OpenADC Found, Connecting
      INFO - Finished Script: ChipWhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA
    3. On the Generic Settings tab, I select Scope: PicoScope.
    4. On the Scope Settings tab, I select Scope Type: PS6000, Trigger Source: D
    5. In the icon bar, I select the icon for Scope:Connect, and the scope's fan starts and the scope connects.
      Code: Select allINFO - Scope Connected
    6. I then press the button to capture one trace, and it all falls apart.
      1. The log says nothing was received from the ChipWhisperer Lite:
        Code: Select allWARNING - Response length from target shorter than expected (0<34): "".
      2. The Encryption Status Monitor shows no Text Out.
      3. The power graph back from the scope is flat.

• So, if the Picoscope is supported with ChipWhisperer, how can I get it to work?
  • Is it supported with the ChipWhisperer Lite board?
  • Does this issue have something to do with the mysterious QTADC object not being passed around?