Problem starting chipwhisperer capture software

Hey,

I installed chipwhisperer v4 alpha 64 bit and when I double click on the capture’s icon, first it seems like something is going to happen because the rotating thingy (what is that called in win7?) appears next to the mouse but then nothing happens and the capture never starts running.
I heard it from other people that they have the same issue and it will run I just have to patiently repeat clicking on it, interestingly enough I have another PC on which it runs without problem.
Any ideas what is causing the issue? And how it can be solved?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reporting this issue. To start could you tell me if you used the automatic installer, or performed a manual one on the system your having trouble with? Same question for the system that seems to run fine.

Regardless, I’ll start to look into this issue for you.

Cheers!
-Connor

Hi Connor,

I downloaded the exe from the github releases page and just installed it, on both systems the same way. Even used the git update tool included in the install, but it didn’t have any effect on being able to run the capture software.
This is a win7, the other is a win10 on which it runs, but a friend of mine uses win10 as well and it doesn’t always work for him, he has to try double clicking on it a couple of times and it will sometimes work…

Hi Daniel,

There might be a problem with the path the shortcut is pointing to.
Could you follow these steps and let me know how it works for you, I have no idea how much you know about computers so I will give the full explanation :slight_smile:

1. open you console (search for “cmd” in your start menu and then start the program called cmd.exe)
  2. In the console type
 <path to "python.exe" included in chipwhisperer install> <path to the "CWCapture.pyw" file> 

Here is an example: C:\Program Files\ChipWhisperer\WinPython-64bit-2.7.13.1Zero\python-2.7.13.amd64\python.exe C:\Program Files\ChipWhisperer\chipwhisperer\software\CWCapture.pyw
To run the command hit enter.
Could you reply with the output of this command please. Let me know if you want more details.

Cheers,
Franz

Hi Franz,

C:\Users\daniel>"C:\Program Files (x86)\ChipWhisperer\WinPython-64bit-2.7.13.1Ze
ro\python-2.7.13.amd64\python.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ChipWhisperer\chipwhi
sperer\software\CWCapture.pyw"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ChipWhisperer\chipwhisperer\software\CWCapture.py
w", line 9, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.capture.ui.CWCaptureGUI import main
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ChipWhisperer\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhispere
r\__init__.py", line 46, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.OpenADC import OpenADC as cwhardware
r\capture\scopes\OpenADC.py", line 36, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.openadc_interface.naeusbchip import OpenAD
CInterface_NAEUSBChip
r\capture\scopes\openadc_interface\naeusbchip.py", line 27, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.cwhardware.ChipWhispererFWLoaderGUI import
 FWLoaderConfigGUI
r\capture\scopes\cwhardware\ChipWhispererFWLoaderGUI.py", line 28, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.cwhardware.ChipWhispererSAM3Update import
SAM3LoaderConfig
r\capture\scopes\cwhardware\ChipWhispererSAM3Update.py", line 39, in <module>
    from chipwhisperer.hardware.naeusb.bootloader_sam3u import Samba
r\hardware\naeusb\bootloader_sam3u.py", line 36, in <module>
    import serial
ImportError: No module named serial

Hi daniel,

This is a bug on our part, I am fixing and rebuilding the installer on our side. To fix the issue now, just run this in your command console

<path to "python.exe" included in chipwhisperer install> -m pip install serial 

an example

C:\Program Files\ChipWhisperer\WinPython-64bit-2.7.13.1Zero\python-2.7.13.amd64\python.exe -m pip install serial 

this should install the missing module. Let me know if that works for you and fixes the issue. This should also fix the icon because it is the same problem.

Cheers,
Franz

Hi Franz,

C:\Users\daniel>"C:\Program Files (x86)\ChipWhisperer\WinPython-64bit-2.7.13.1Ze
ro\python-2.7.13.amd64\python.exe" -m pip install serial
Collecting serial
  Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connec
tion broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.conne
ction.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x000000000353A198>: Failed to establish
 a new connection: [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target
machine actively refused it',)': /simple/serial/
  Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connec
tion broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.conne
ction.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x000000000353A978>: Failed to establish
  Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connec
ction.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x000000000353A630>: Failed to establish
  Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connec
ction.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x000000000353AA20>: Failed to establish
  Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connec
ction.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x0000000003ECB3C8>: Failed to establish
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement serial (from versions:
 )
No matching distribution found for serial

It wasn’t working but that can be of many reasons, I will wait for the rebuilt installer and try it again.

Thank you!

Hello,

Franz rebuilt the installer today & we put it up at github.com/newaetech/chipwhispe … 4.0.1alpha - it is now called “4.0.0 Final” (as it’s build from the same source we didn’t bump the version number).

Let us know if that solves it!

-Colin

yes, it did solve it, thanks!

Happy to hear that. Enjoy!
Franz