Attacking ML605 xilinx FPGA with chipwhisperer capture rev2

Hi everyone,
I’m actually using a chipwhisperer capture rev 2 and I want to make an attack on the Virtex-6 FPGA of the ML605 board. I can’t get more recent chipwhisperer hardware that include FPGA in their target, I also can’t get a sasebo or a sakura. I’m stuck with the capture rev 2.

So, I want to have some advices on how should I proceed to do that. Maybe analysing the schematics of the sasebo to see how the FPGA il connected to the simple serial 20 pin connector, or get the Verilog project of the simple serial protocol that communicates with the python side. I should also understand to manipulateur the trigger. Should I need to make my own PCB ?

Regards

Omar.

I also answered your questions here:

The simpliest target, that I used, is Spartan6 UFO board:
https://rtfm.newae.com/Targets/UFO Targets/CW308T-S6LX9/

This board uses package pins to communicate with chipwhisiperer, so you can use standard “SimpleSerlial” target in CW.

All code is available here, including verilog files and UCF file and schematics:

So first you need to port that project to your board/FPGA.
Then find pins that you can use for communication. You only need 4 pins, but 1 has to be a clock pin.
And finally connect everything and configure FPGA.

Thank you for your reply 31415.

Which chipwhisperer did you use ? A chipwhisperer lite ?
Because I have the capture rev 2, I don’t know which python example script did you use ?

Yes, I do have CW Lite.
What example script do you mean?

In the Chipwhiserer Capture Software, in Projects -> Example Scripts, there is few example scripts. Each one in specific to a chipwhisperer model.
For example there is ( Chipwhisperer-Lite: AES SimpleSerial on XMEGA, SAKURA-G: AES-128 FPGA Target, …, and Chipwhisperer-Rev2: SimpleSerial Target).
Which one did you use to capture your traces ? Or Maybe you coded your own Python Script ? Can I use Chipwhisperer-Rev2: SimpleSerial Target ? because I’m using the Capture Rev2.

I see, I used version 5 of the CW tools, so all is in the Jupyter Notebooks.
I don’t know what these scripts are doing, but you can try all that include “SimpleSerial Target”.

EDIT:
But this looks relevant: “AES-128 FPGA Target”.