ChipWhisperer-Lite bricked, possible to recover it?

Hi,

unfortunately when I tried to plug in my ChipWhisperer-Lite today it no longer got recognized by my computer at all. I tried shorting the erase-pin while it’s plugged in and also while plugging it in to see if that would help and I could re-flash it but it is still not recognized. The 2 LEDs are lighting up, but very dim, not as bright as they used to light up.

Anybody has a clue what I can try to get it fixed or any pointers what I could check and what could be wrong with it? I’m a little bit puzzled as it suddenly stopped working, I first thought it might be some kind of data loss so it just somehow lost it’s firmware and reflashing is a solution, but that’s apparently not the solution.

Hi,

It’s likely that the firmware is erased currently. Did you attempt the firmware reflash? Also, what operating system are you running on?

Alex

Hi,

thanks for your fast response! I wanted to reflash over USB, but the CW is not recognized at all. I tried doing it on windows first, but since I didn’t have any success there and the board is not recognized at all over USB I went to a Linux machine and watched dmesg while plugging it in, absolutely nothing.

Have you seen such behavior before? If yes, what was the cause of it?

Thanks!

On Linux at least, there was this problem/solution from a long time ago, but I’ve never actually seen it happen. I’m not sure it’ll fix your issue, but it might be worth a shot.

Just to confirm, it didn’t show up as a COM port on Windows either? What does your connection to the computer look like? Are you running it through a USB hub? Also, have you tried a different USB cable?

Alex

I believe that even with that bug it should produce the “new USB device” message in dmesg. I still attempted it, just to be sure, but that didn’t help.

It doesn’t show up as COM port on Windows. I tried a different USB cable now and I wanted to try it with a hub (great idea btw!) so I got an old USB 1.0 hub aswell as a USB 2.0 hub, no luck there either. I tested a different cable now aswell (one that I tested with a different device before, just to be sure), also no luck. I attempted to blow in the USB connector aswell just in case there is dust or something in there, but that didn’t help and also I wasn’t able to visually see anything wrong on the connector.

Also I tried a USB 3.0 port on my computer aswell as a USB 2.0 port.

Hmm, in that case I wonder if there’s some sort of damage on the TX/RX lines. Can you contact support@newae.com so that we can take back the board for repair/get you a new board?

Alex