ChipWhisperer with new target board PSoC 62 Clock glitching

What method did you use to install ChipWhisperer? Additionally, how are you running Jupyter. Typically you need to run Jupyter via git bash, cygwin, msys, etc to get access to bash in Jupyter.

Alex

I actually cloned the chipwhisperer github files to my local machine and the opened jupyter notebook via cmd prompt. so I didnt run it throught the chip whisperer application.
I have it downloaded like it said in the Chip whisperer documentation page.

Niharika

Do you have git bash or similar (cygwin, msys, etc)? Try running jupyter through that.

I have git bash. Ok will do that.

Thanks
NIharika

It worked. thanks a lot for all the help!!

Niharika

1 Like

Hi @Alex_Dewar , for clock glitching to bypass password, is there any particular range for width, offset & ext_offset values for PSOC 62 target board.

Niharika

We haven’t really done much glitching on the PSOC, so I can’t really say.

Ok Thank you

Niharika

Hi, Not getting any success counts with the psoc 62 target board . any suggestions what to change to be able to clock glitch??

Niharika

I’d suggest increasing the parameters you use when glitching - try different widths, offsets, ext_offsets, and repeats. You may also want to try voltage glitching, as that seems to work better on some targets.

Alex

1 Like

Ok will do.

Thanks

Niharika

Hi, while trying to run the voltage glitching

‘valid’: False, ‘payload’: None, ‘full_response’: ‘’, ‘rv’: None

getting this, only platform changes were made and nothing else. can you help me out why this is happening in case vtg glitching but working fine with clock glitching??

Niharika

You’re probably crashing the target. Try using a smaller glitch width.

ok thank you

Niharika

Hi @Alex_Dewar , can you tell why only the particular width, offset &external offset settings are mentioned for stm32 board, is there any calculation done and have come to this conclusion??

if calculations involve then please let me know so that I can try for PSoC 62 board.
as I was not successful when I used width[0-48], offset [-48,48] for clock glitching to bypass password.

is the hardware setup same for third party boards with Chip Whisperer pro kit??for clock and vtg glitching

Thanks
Niharika

No, there’s not calculations that you do to find parameters. You simply need to vary them until you find ones that work.

If you want to work with a third party board, you’ll need to make the necessary connections (voltage, ground, shunt resistor, remove decoupling capacitors, etc). We’ve got a tutorial that does a voltage glitch attack on a third party dev board: Tutorial A9 Bypassing LPC1114 Read Protect - ChipWhisperer Wiki.

Alex

1 Like

Thanks for replying , are these connections same for Chip Whisperer Pro kit with CW 308 target board? It doesn’t mention any hardware connection there and says coming soon. Any updated document may be would help.

Regards,
Niharika

If you’re using one of our CW308 targets, you just need to connect the 20-pin connector and an SMA connector to the GLITCH port for voltage glitching. Clock glitching just needs the 20-pin connector.

1 Like

I have done the same but it didn’t seem to work for any range of Width & Offset i tried Width (0-48) & offset (-48,48),ext_offset (11,31) but success count is 0 for all. Anything else you suggest?? It would be great please help.

Thank you
Niharika

If you haven’t already, try incrementing by the minimum step size (0.4). If that doesn’t work, you can clock the target independently, bump the CW clock speed way up (say 200MHz) and use enable_only mode for more precise voltage glitching.

Alex

1 Like