CW305 in stand-alone mode?

Hello, I need to use a separate oscilloscope to measure the side-channel leakage on CW305 and perhaps use a PC to directly communicate with the board. is it possible to run CW305 in stand-alone mode like what we do with the STM32F target? I have searched for tutorials but it seems that the documentation on this is limited.

Absolutely. Maybe the documentation and tutorial don’t say it explicitly, but if you follow the reference CW305 design (hardware/victims/cw305_artixtarget/fpga/vivado_examples/aes128_verilog/), then you’re pretty much there.

The reference design uses USB to communicate directly with the host computer. Make sure you have the target input clock to set to PLL1. Power comes from either USB or the DC jack. All that’s left for you to do is connect the trigger to your scope.

Jean-Pierre

Thank you for the timely reply! I will definitely give it a try.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I have tried what you said and it does work. Currently we can use a python script to handle the communication. Additionally, can we directly use a serial port to communication with the board? Since we would like to use this board with Riscure Inspector, this would save us a lot of work with controlling the encryption using Inspector.

Of course!
The reference design for our Spartan6 UFO target uses UART:
hardware/victims/cw308_ufo_target/spartan6lx9
You can borrow the UART implementation from that design; I believe there are also some UART IP blocks available in Vivado.

Jean-Pierre