Problems in Debugging a Project

I am using System Workbench for STM32 and a ST-LINK for debugging. I follow the tutorials here and succeed in building a project and enter the debug mode.

https://rtfm.newae.com/Targets/UFO%20Targets/CW308T-STM32F/#building-and-debugging-via-sts-system-workbench

However, when the project goes to the loop to recieving the command sent from Jupyter, it cannot enter the right fuction added in simpleserial_addcmd(). It just stuck in the while loop. It seems like the project doesn’t do the job after 0x0800230c

while(1)
simpleserial_get()

I do run the jupyter of target.send_cmd('a', 0x00, bytearray(skf[0])) when I enter the simpleserial_get(), so are there any error in my operation?

And the second one is I used both the 20 pins on CW308 here, so in debug mode, which one is used for getting the commands sent from jupyter?

Best regards,
Magnolia

Do you have experience with running a debugger on a embedded processor? It might be useful to start with target firmware which is known to work properly (for example our basic simpleserial-aes which is used by many of our tutorials), to “learn the ropes” with one less variable.

Just guessing from your screenshot: is the target halted? If so it won’t respond to the simpleserial commands you send. Make sure the target is running, then maybe set a breakpoint, and go from there.

(If you know all this already then I apologize!)

Jean-Pierre

I am sorry that I have few experience in running a debugger on a embedded processor and I am now studying on it.

When I running in the while loop, the target is running and then I send the commands to the target it halted. So, I think at this time the target has got the commands, right?

I am not familiar with that and I am sorry if the questions are too silly.

Magnolia

No question is too silly – google “embedded debugging tutorial”, there are tons of resources to learn from.