Chipwhisperer Capture is not opened

Hello Collyn,
I am new on chipwhisperer. i have installed Python 2.7.6.4 and the latest version of chipwhisperer. I installed according to given documents. After all installations, i could’t open chipWhisperer Analyzer. However ChipWhisperer Capture can be opened. Following message shows:
c:\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer\analyzer>python ChipWhispererAnalyzer

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py”, line 745, in
main()
File “ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py”, line 738, in main
window = chipwhispererAnalyzer<>
File “ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py”, line 116, in init
self .traceExplorerDialog = TraceExplorerDialog
WidgetParameterItem.init(self, param, depth)
File “C:\WinPython-32bit-2.7.6.4\python-2.7.6\lib\s
metertree\parameterTypes.py”, line 42, in init
w = self.makeWidget()
File “c:\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer\common\ParameterTypesCustoms.py”
line 128, in makeWidget
l = self.makeLayout()
File “c:\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer\common\ParameterTypesCustoms.py”
line 106, in makeLayout
wlow.setOpts(**defs)
File “C:\WinPython-32bit-2.7.6.4\python-2.7.6\lib\site-packages\pyqtgraph\widg
ets\SpinBox.py”, line 160, in setOpts
raise TypeEror:< Invalid keyword, argument ‘%s’ ." % k>
TypeEror: Invalid keyword, argument ‘set’ .
c:\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer\analyzer>
It gives the Error like that.

Plz reply

Hello,

It sounds like this might be an older version of the ChipWhisperer software - are you using the latest from GIT or some other release? There was an incompatabilty with older versions of the CW software & latest from GIT. We’re in the middle of improving all the release documentation right now in fact to help people with this…

Thanks,

-Coin

Hi Coflynn,

Thank you very much for your immediate response. I have downloaded chipwhisperer- master and it is running.Now i am having issue the Picoscope. I am using picoscope 6403 and i have installed Pico-python and installed the drivers of picoscope, but i cant find picoscope in the Scope module. Plz guide me in this regard that how i can get it in scope module. I am not good in Python so plz help me.
thanks I appreciate your time and efforts!

Regards
azeem

Hello,

We just checked on another computer and master + picoscope (installed with pip install picoscope) works for us? Can you check in “Help --> List Enabled/Disabled Plugins” to check what error it’s getting?

-Colin

Hello
here is the attachment showing status of modules where pico 6000 is showing Enabled - True

Regards
azeem

I think your issue is one line below - the plugin list says that the PicoScope interface is disabled. Can you copy+paste the full error message?

Hello
Here is the full error message plz

Regards
azeem

I think he wants the Details (full stack) instead, not the full list.

Hello,
I am not good in Python. Any body plz help me to overcome this issue. Plz provide some detail how i can recover and get picoscope in Capture software.

Regards
azeem

Azeem,

It’s tricky to debug this because we’re not having the problem on our end!

In your module status window, I’m interested in the “Details (full stack)” column. Can you copy and paste the details for rows 8 and 10 (PicoScope5000a and PicoScopeInterface)?

Hello
Here is the details of Full stack in two images.

Regards
azeem

Enclosed is another image of full stack. Further it is requested that plz mention the exact versions of chipwhisperer and pico-python, etc.

Regards
azeem

Azeem, the reason why I asked for a copy+paste is because these full stack logs are more than one line long - we can’t tell what’s going on from the first line of the error message. If you copy and paste that message here we might be able to figure out what’s happening, but we definitely can’t debug this without more info.

I don’t have this problem on my computer. I have the latest copy of the ChipWhisperer source code, but v3.2.0 (from here) would be close enough. I’m using the Python Picoscope package v0.4. Which versions are you using?

Hello gdeon,
Thankyou for your quick response on the issue. I am using chipwhisperer-master and pico-python master. Plz give the link if any other version of pico-python can i use to resolve the problem.

Regards
azeem

Hello gdeon,
Plz further confirm that chipwhisperer V3.2.0 which you provided the link does not have openadc folder. what will be the installation procedure. plz elaborate it.

regards
azeem

Azeem,

I just tested a fresh install. The ChipWhisperer v3.2.0 software doesn’t need anything from the OpenADC folder, and I see PicoScope as one of the scope modules. I’m still not sure what your issue is - It looks like we’re using the same versions of everything…

Hello gdeon,

Thank you very much for your reply. In installation procedure as mentioned below it require openadc when install python setup.py develop. Plz confirm this is the same procedure or some thing else. I am copying it below:

2.2.2. Getting & Installing ChipWhisperer¶
Assuming you’ve got a working Python installation, the next step is to install & run ChipWhisperer itself. This requires you to get a copy of ChipWhisperer, you should download the Latest Release. Download & unzip the file somewhere. Note if you are adventurous you can clone the GIT Repository git://git.assembla.com/chipwhisperer.git instead, but this may be broken so you should start with the latest release instead.

Generally ‘somewhere’ will become your ChipWhisperer working directory. These examples assume you’ve chosen C:\chipwhisperer as your working directory.

Once you’ve got the file, we run the Python install procedure again (setup.py). We slightly modify it to use the develop command to reflect that the files will probably be changing frequently. Again open a terminal and run the following, adjusting paths as needed:

cd c:\chipwhisperer\openadc\controlsw\python
python setup.py develop
cd c:\chipwhisperer\software
python setup.py develop
If you wish to confirm the installation worked, you can run ChipWhispererAnalyzer in the same terminal:

cd c:\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer\analyzer
python ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py

Regards
azeem

Hello gdeon,
I am going to explain the whole installation procedure of win python and chipwhisperer. The procedure is as follows:

1. Installed win python- 32bit 2.7.6.4. in c:\win python- 32bit 2.7.6.4

2. Run the shortcut called WinPython Command Prompt.exe.

3. Runs the following commands to get needed packages:
    pip install pyqtgraph
    pip install configobj
    pip install pyusb

4. Runs the WinPython Control Panel.exe program. Then select Advanced -> Register distribution

5. Then installed chipwhisperer 3.2.0 in C:\chipwhisperer.

6. Again opened a terminal and runs the following, adjusting paths as needed:

7. In older versionsof chipwhisperer where openadc folder is present, there runs the following commands:

cd c:\chipwhisperer\openadc\controlsw\python
                python setup.py develop
                python setup.py develop

8. But in chipwhisperer 3.2.0, openadc folder does not exist therefore runs only this command only.

python setup.py develop

9. After that instal pico python master through this command
    python setup.py install

10. Further installed picoscope 6, that is working fine with the pc.

11. chipwhisperer capture and analyzer are working correctly without the picoscope interface.

Please guide me in this regard whether there is some thing missing or any other procedure is required.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
azeem

I don’t have a great answer for this - it’s tough to figure out what’s going on. Your installation procedure looks right to me.

However, today I tried installing WinPython 64 bit in order to test some new ChipWhisperer features. I got some very similar issues to yours: my Picoscope scope doesn’t appear. However, my error messages are different (PicoScope only appears to work as a 32 bit application). I get a similar issue by opening a Python session and running the following:

from picoscope import ps2000
p = ps2000.PS2000(connect=False)

This produces a WindowsError. I imagine that you’re seeing similar issues.

Sorry I can’t do more - I would really need to sit down with this problem and look into it closely, and I can’t reproduce your issues here.

Hello Gdeon/Collin
If this scenario is not possible to replicate at your end. Then if possible if you could login into my machine and check that issue, please