Help setting up software

Hi

I use linux mint 17.3 Rosa

So I am new to CW. I started to follow the getting started instructions:

newae.com/sidechannel/cwdocs/nae … wlite.html

When I attempt to run ChipWhispererAnalyzer to check everything went well I had some problems

First problem:

$ python ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py", line 81, in <module> import chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.Preprocessing as Preprocessing File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/analyzer/preprocessing/Preprocessing.py", line 42, in <module> from chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.ResyncResampleZC import ResyncResampleZC File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/analyzer/preprocessing/ResyncResampleZC.py", line 41, in <module> from matplotlib.mlab import find ImportError: No module named matplotlib.mlab

This was fixed by installing the python-matplotlib package

$ sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib

Second problem:

$ python ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py", line 745, in <module> main() File "ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py", line 738, in main window = ChipWhispererAnalyzer() File "ChipWhispererAnalyzer.py", line 116, in __init__ self.traceExplorerDialog = TraceExplorerDialog(self) File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/analyzer/utils/TraceExplorerDialog.py", line 73, in __init__ self.setupCommonScripts() File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/analyzer/utils/TraceExplorerDialog.py", line 101, in setupCommonScripts self.paramTreeCommonScripts.setParameters(self.paramCommonScripts, showTop=False) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/ParameterTree.py", line 47, in setParameters self.addParameters(param, showTop=showTop) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/ParameterTree.py", line 77, in addParameters self.addParameters(ch, root=item, depth=depth+1) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/ParameterTree.py", line 77, in addParameters self.addParameters(ch, root=item, depth=depth+1) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/ParameterTree.py", line 77, in addParameters self.addParameters(ch, root=item, depth=depth+1) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/ParameterTree.py", line 64, in addParameters item = param.makeTreeItem(depth=depth) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/Parameter.py", line 485, in makeTreeItem return self.itemClass(self, depth) File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/common/ParameterTypesCustom.py", line 27, in __init__ WidgetParameterItem.__init__(self, param, depth) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/parametertree/parameterTypes.py", line 42, in __init__ w = self.makeWidget() File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/common/ParameterTypesCustom.py", line 128, in makeWidget l = self.makeLayout() File "/media/mint/Development/ChipWhisperer/chipwhisperer-0.12RC1/software/chipwhisperer/common/ParameterTypesCustom.py", line 106, in makeLayout wlow.setOpts(**defs) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyqtgraph/widgets/SpinBox.py", line 160, in setOpts raise TypeError("Invalid keyword argument '%s'." % k) TypeError: Invalid keyword argument 'set'.

Any ideas? Are there some minimum version numbers of the Python packages I should check

I also cloned the current Git repo master branch. There seems to have been a lot of changes and the “getting started” instructions don’t seem to be valid. Are there any updated noted for the current master?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: The capture application starts fine

Edit2: Found the analyzer & capture tools in the cloned Git repo, both seem to work so I will roll with those

Hi there! You’re right that these installation instructions are out of date. We have a info box on the page that says “This document is currently OUTDATED and will not be updated. ChipWhisperer documention is moved to the wiki page at wiki.newae.com.” Do you have any ideas that would make this more visible?

It sounds like you’ve already got everything working now. In case you’re still stuck, the new installation page is here.

Do you have any ideas that would make this more visible?

Bigger font maybe? It wouldn’t help though, docs are still lagging behind …

cd c:\chipwhisperer\openadc\controlsw\python python setup.py develop cd c:\chipwhisperer\software python setup.py develop

.../chipwhisperer/openadc $ ls -al total 8 drwxr-xr-x 2 mint mint 4096 Feb 6 19:01 . drwxr-xr-x 9 mint mint 4096 Feb 6 19:01 ..

Hmm. Someone mentioned a few days ago that the OpenADC folder is empty in the new releases. Colin said that this shouldn’t matter: you don’t need the files in there unless you’re developing the ChipWhisperer FPGA firmware (and Colin is the only person who works on that).

In any case, we’re still in the process of moving our releases from the Assembla page to our new Wiki and Github page. I’ll make sure we clean up these instructions when all the dust clears…