Smart card support status

I am curious what is the current status of smart card support from the SCA perspective?
I believe, it is pretty easy to make the CW308T smart card extension board to connect it to the main CW308 UFO board.
At least, I don’t see the problems to run and communicate with the smart card in terms of physical connections:

1. 3.3 V power can be provided from the main board.
  2. Reset can be performed by the PROG-RESET CW-lite pin.
  3. 3.57 Mhz clock can be provided via the FPGA-HS2 CW-lite pin.
  4. Ground from the main board
  5. I/O via FPGA-TARG1, FPGA-TARG2 CW-lite pins.

…but it is not clear, whether the ChipWhisperer API has out of the box python API to communicate (set I/O speed, interpret direct/inverse convention, etc) with a smart card.
Another unclear thing is what python API can be used to prepare an APDU message, capture the power trace after sending the APDU for processing, get the result of encryption/decryption from the smart card, and collect things together in the NumPy database.

Answered here: Smart card interface - #2 by Alex_Dewar

There is, however, this: https://www.sstic.org/media/SSTIC2019/SSTIC-actes/LEIA_the_lab_embedded_iso7816_analyzer/SSTIC2019-Article-LEIA_the_lab_embedded_iso7816_analyzer-el-baze_renard_trebuchet_benadjila.pdf

I agree with this conclusion that this is low hanging fruit for the script kiddies like me to compromise the smart cards security.
…but at least I already know that I will not reinvent the wheel by extending CW functionality.

In my opinion, this looks a bit overengineered, especially hardware part.

BTW, what is the best option to apply the VCC glitch on the CW308T board (via CW308 UFO board)?

Connect the CW glitch port to the CW308 SMA port. If you want to measure and glitch at the same time, use a T SMA adapter on the CW308 so that you can connect both the glitch and measure cables. We provide a T adapter with our starter pack (i.e. pictured right above the 308 here: Side-Channel & Glitching Starter Pack (Level 1) - NewAE Technology Inc)

1 Like