Beginner problem in tutorial B1

I’m using CWLite two parts on VM with Lubuntu.
While programming the STM32F3, im unable to detect the device and send me the following error:

Failed to detect chip. Check following:

1. Connections and device power.
  2. Device has valid clock (or remove clock entirely for internal osc).
  3. On Rev -02 CW308T-STM32Fx boards, BOOT0 is routed to PDIC.
    Starting FLASH program process at 20:20:02
    File /home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/hardware/victims/firmware/docTB1/simpleserial-base-CWLITEARM.hex last changed on Sun Nov 10 20:02:21 2019
    Entering Programming Mode
    Failed to detect chip. Check following:
  4. Connections and device power.
  5. Device has valid clock (or remove clock entirely for internal osc).
  6. On Rev -02 CW308T-STM32Fx boards, BOOT0 is routed to PDIC.
    FAILED: Could not detect STM32F, check connections, BOOT MODE entry setup
    FLASH Program FAILED at 20:20:21

Details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/ui/programmers_dialog.py”, line 353, in readSignature
self.stm32f.open_and_find(log_func=self.statusLine.appendPlainText)
File “/home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 71, in func_wrapper
val = func(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 284, in open_and_find
sig, chip = stm32f.find(logfunc=log_func)
File “/home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_stm32fserial.py”, line 150, in find
self.initChip()
File “/home/cwuser/Desktop/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_stm32fserial.py”, line 317, in initChip
raise IOError(“Could not detect STM32F, check connections, BOOT MODE entry setup”)
IOError: Could not detect STM32F, check connections, BOOT MODE entry setup

I also tryied tutorial B2 and the same error occurs, if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.

Can you check the power and clock on the target board?
Jean-Pierre

Sorry for the late reply, everything is well connected and I’m not sure how to check the clock on the target board. If you can guide me a little I will be very grateful.

If you have a logic analyzer or oscilloscope, check HS2 for the clock (available on the unpopulated 10-pin header next to the 20-pin connector).

Other things to check:

• are you sure your USB cable is good?
  • reduce baud rate as explained in this post
  • is your VM USB controller set to USB 3.0?
  • can you try running natively, instead of VM?

Also I’m assuming that Setup_Generic.ipynb is running cleanly without any errors?

Jean-Pierre

I checked the clock in HS2 and thats what the oscilloscope shows:

I have no idea if thats good or not, but the problem is still there. Also i checked the usb and is good. Im going to check the other points now.

Hello, i run chw in linux and i can capture traces (good ones, not like before that i only saw noise) and i can analyze it and recover a key. But i still cant detect the stm32f3 and it send me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/nicolas/Escritorio/chipwhisperer-4.0.4/software/chipwhisperer/capture/ui/programmers_dialog.py”, line 353, in readSignature
self.stm32f.open_and_find(log_func=self.statusLine.appendPlainText)
File “/home/nicolas/Escritorio/chipwhisperer-4.0.4/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 71, in func_wrapper
val = func(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/nicolas/Escritorio/chipwhisperer-4.0.4/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 279, in open_and_find
sig, chip = stm32f.find(logfunc=log_func)
File “/home/nicolas/Escritorio/chipwhisperer-4.0.4/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_stm32fserial.py”, line 150, in find
self.initChip()
File “/home/nicolas/Escritorio/chipwhisperer-4.0.4/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_stm32fserial.py”, line 317, in initChip
raise IOError(“Could not detect STM32F, check connections, BOOT MODE entry setup”)
IOError: Could not detect STM32F, check connections, BOOT MODE entry setup

I dont really understand what is the task of stm32f3, why the attack is working if the software couldn’t detect it?
If u can help me with this will be great! if not, thanks always!