Connection between Sakura-G and ChipWhisperer Pro possible?

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to connect the sakura-g board to the ChipWhispererPro (CW1200) to capture traces of a FPGA design.

What I found on internet is the following page, which does not seem to use the CWP:
https://wiki.newae.com/SAKURA-G_Target
It is said to be outdated but I couldn’t find more recent explanations on the new website.

Besides, the CW 5.5 release (Release ChipWhisperer 5.5 · newaetech/chipwhisperer · GitHub) indicates “Re-add SAKURA-G support”, though it is unclear to me what it means.

In any case, I wasn’t able to find any relevant guide/examples on the connections to make between the boards and the CWP.

Kind regards,
Quentin

I believe the Sakura-G was only ever supported with a standalone OpenADC like is shown in that wiki link. I got that configuration working again in the 5.5 release, but I’m not sure if it still works.

Getting the Pro working with the Sakura-G should be possible, provided you’re familiar with that platform. You’ll need to connect ground, the measure port (the SMA shown in that picture), and a trigger pin (the yellow jumper wire shown in that picture). Ideally, your design will also output a clock that you can connect to the ChipWhisperer’s HS1 pin for synchronization. I’m also not sure what the IO voltage is for the Sakura-G, but the Pro runs at 3.3V, so you may also need to do some level shifting.

On the CW Pro side, the measure port is one of the two SMAs, while ground, clock, and trigger are on the 20-pin connector.

You can then recreate what cw.capture_trace() does, replacing the normal serial communication code with however you’re communicating with the Sakura-G.

Alex

Thank you Alex for your reply.

From what I understand, the CW1200 could be directly connected to the sakura, without using the UFO Board. Regarding the 20-pin connector, I guess it requires a cable for which the other side has individual jumper wires. However, how are the pin numbered w.r.t. to the documentation? Upper line left to right and then lower line?
In addition, unlike when using the UFO board, I understand that the I/O data would go via the USB connected to the Sakura, and not via the CW box. I suppose that is also the case when using the OpenADC, and that I could reuse parts of your functions/VHDL design to this end?

However, as I do not feel very comfortable with this setup (especially since there may be voltage differences which may damage the CW board), I think I will opt for the OpenADC solution if I can.

Kind Regards,
Quentin

There’s no need for a full breakout of the 20-pin, a few jumper cables will work fine. Looking into the connector, numbering goes top right, bottom right, top second-right, bottom second-right, and so on.

Yup, correct on both counts.

Alex