CW1173 cannot prog XMEGA with glitch connected

I have a CW1173 from the Kickstarter campaign. After receiving it I tested it with the AES tutorial and everything worked fine. Fast forward a couple years, I just pulled it out of storage to play around some more. I separated the two boards (scored and followed directions to cleanly snap it). I’ve update the SAM3U firmware. Now when I follow the jupyter tutorials the target device won’t program UNLESS I disconnect glitching cable. I can see when it’s connected it forces the output (VDD?) low and LED9/LED10 light on the target board. Any ideas?

Unrelated question: When I try and execute the pyc examples in the repo I get:
RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file
Where are the source .py files?? Don’t see them in there.

After some testing and removing IRML2502 to isolate the short I realized one of my SMA pigtails had an internal short. Doh… Hopefully this helps someone else.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the update!
Regarding your other question: which software installation are you using?
If it dates from the kickstarter campaign, things have changed a lot since. Consider installing the current release (installation instructions).

Jean-Pierre

That was poor manners, I should have created a separate thread. I’m using the git repo master branch (5.1.1). I would expect the .py files to be in the same directory but they’re not. What am I missing?

elliot@tinylabs-laptop:~/projects/chipwhisperer$ ls -l ./software/chipwhisperer/capture/scripts/
total 40
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2508 Oct 13 15:15 cw305-cwlite.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2907 Oct 13 15:15 cwlite-simpleserialnotduino.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 3148 Oct 13 15:13 cwlite-simpleserialxmegades.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2874 Oct 13 15:15 cwlite-simpleserialxmega.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2857 Oct 13 15:15 cwlite-simpleserialxmega-spa.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 3887 Oct 13 15:15 cwlite-timingattack.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2712 Oct 13 15:15 cwrev2-simpleserial.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 173 Oct 13 15:13 init.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2674 Oct 13 15:15 sakurag-aes.pyc
-rw-r–r-- 1 elliot elliot 2716 Oct 13 15:15 sasebow-cardos.pyc
elliot@tinylabs-laptop:~/projects/chipwhisperer$ python ./software/chipwhisperer/capture/scripts/cwlite-simpleserialxmega.pyc
RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

These may be untracked files from a previous pre-v5 repo that you had in the same location? With CW5 and the move to Jupyter, the scripts directory no longer exists. Their equivalents are now in jupyter/Helper_Scripts

Jean-Pierre

1 Like