CW308 Target w/o direct access to Vcore

Hi,

want to design a target for CW308. Target MCU will be STM32L552VET6 as it supports ARMv8-M w TZ.
I know there is already is a Cortex-M33 target (NXP LPC55S69), but I want to stick with this one.

Long story short, the goal is to generate reliable glitches.
But as there is also some built in crypto etc., I wanted to keep the opportunity for doing SCA later on.
When I was going to place the shunt, I found that the Vcore is exclusively supplied via an internal regulator, that cannot be turned off. The regulator gets supplied by VDD, which also powers I/O and some more stuff. This is why I expect a lots of noise here.

What would you do in this case?
Have you encountered something similar before?

Would be kind of sad to manufacture a target only for glitching and afterwards realize that you could have both.

Best,
Lee

Hi Lee,

We actually have an STM32L5 target (the L562RET6). Out of stock right now (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NewAE/NAE-CW308T-STM32L5HWC?qs=W%2FMpXkg%2BdQ60fQBqssWkkA%3D%3D), but you should be able to grab one of the blank CW308-STM32F boards and solder on the components yourself.

Yeah the internal regulator situation is pretty common, actually. Luckily these chips usually have the output of the regulator on a pin for connecting the big external components (capacitors and inductors). If it’s a linear regulator, you can feed in a slightly higher voltage on the output of the regulator (might be labled as decoupling capacitor pins, like on the STM32F* series). A switch mode will have a core voltage input that you can directly power, just make sure to power the feedback pin as well to stop the internal regulator from switching.

Alex

1 Like