Get_last_trace() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given

I do this:
scope.get_last_trace(True)
and gets the error message:
TypeError: get_last_trace() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given

I don’t understand, not at all.

e

Looks like you’re using an older version of ChipWhisperer. The as_int argument was added to get_last_trace() last month: https://github.com/newaetech/chipwhisperer/commit/5f970283209e0d730fd874bfc1aa04f4f8d1117e.
When you run into usage issues like this, try help(scope.get_last_trace) and you’ll get usage notes for that method, including input and ouput definitions.

I am not familiar with git or Linux or Python. Scrips are failing and I don’t know what to do. Initially installed newest Windows version. Do I have to wait for the next?

Which version did you install (output of cw.__version__), and which script is failing?
The extra argument to get_last_trace which was causing you the error simply controls whether the sample data is returned as floating point or integer; you can omit it and for most use cases it won’t matter.

It says 5.6.0
help(scope.get_last_trace) does not tell me about any parameters to the call.
The installed ChipWhisperer API page does.

Almost all commands on the ChipChisperer updating.ipynb page is failing.
The first box with commands completed normally.
The next two failed saying “You are not currently on a branch”

Yes, I can run with floating point output. I just wanted to see the raw output assumed to be numbers from 0 to 1023. I wanted to determine if I should adjust gain or not.

I have this to say:
I am willing to fight to overcome the problems I face, but there should not exist problems regarding installation and updates. All products on the market does installation and updates automatically and those who fail are instantly removed by me. What do you do when it happens to you? I don’t have a choice this time and have to stick with your product. Please try to see this from a customer’s point of view.

I would like to be able to update weekly. I know you have fixed problems where I have to multiply timeout values with 6 or 7 to get the timeout I want.

Went to github and downloaded the entire project as a zip file. Unzipped everything over my existing installation. When testing I was told to upgrade the firmware. Did that. I now have 5.6.1 and the bugs I knew about are gone.

Should I be satisfied or have I broken something?

Yup, that’s fine. You’re basically just doing what a git pull would do anyway.

Alex

You should think about why I did it and that I found it much easier to do it “my way” than follow any of the procedures you have come up with. I wish you the best - I really do.

e