Help with Notduino board

Hi guys,

I have the Notduino board connected to the chipwhisperer lite. Followed the basic setup (wiki.newae.com/CW1173_ChipWhisperer-Lite) for the AVR, as I click on check signature I keep getting errors.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kitten/Downloads/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/utils/AVRProgrammer.py", line 151, in readSignature
    self.avr.find()
  File "/home/kitten/Downloads/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/utils/AVRProgrammer.py", line 254, in find
    self.avr.enableISP(True)
  File "/home/kitten/Downloads/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py", line 245, in enableISP
    self._chip.bytedelay, self._chip.pollvalue, self._chip.pollindex, 0xAC, 0x53, 0, 0])
  File "/home/kitten/Downloads/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py", line 218, in _avrDoWrite
    status = self._avrDoRead(cmd=0x0020, dlen=2)
  File "/home/kitten/Downloads/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py", line 231, in _avrDoRead
    return self._usb.usbdev().ctrl_transfer(0xC1, self.CMD_AVR_PROGRAM, cmd, 0, dlen, timeout=self._timeout)
  File "/home/kitten/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 1043, in ctrl_transfer
    self.__get_timeout(timeout))
  File "/home/kitten/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 883, in ctrl_transfer
    timeout))
  File "/home/kitten/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 595, in _check
    raise USBError(_strerror(ret), ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
USBError: [Errno 110] Operation timed out

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Hi Dane,

If it’s still an error: there were some changes in the firmware of the CW-Lite, on start-up did you get a message showing the firmware version fo the CW-Lite? The error you are seeing is more serious than the expected “programming doesn’t work” response.

Generally if the AVR programming isn’t working, it’s because (1) no valid clock signal is present, or (2) the clock is running too fast.

PS: Sorry for the huge delay here in answering!

I built up my Notduino target today and I have an identical error. I’m running 0.11 firmware, however scoping the the pins shows the Atmel is not responding on the MISO pin. I’ve swapped the UC with a handy nearby Arduino and the chip itself is working. Additionally I’ve then programmed an Arduino up as a STK500 and used that to ICSP the Notduino and it successfully read the signature bytes a few times but stopped once I got the scope out to compare voltages round the Notduino circuit and I can’t get it to do another successful read now.

Here’s the stderr of a read fuse request (failed) and signature read.

[code]INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.VisaScope: No module named visa
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.picoscope_interface.picoscopes: No module named picoscope
INFO:Dictionary contains zero modules
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.PicoScope.PicoScopeInterface’>: ‘PS5000a’
INFO:Could not instantiate module <class ‘chipwhisperer.capture.scopes.openadc_interface.ftdi.OpenADCInterface_FTDI’>: Needed imports for FTDI missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SAKURAG: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.SASEBOGII: No module named ftd2xx
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.ChipWhispererSPI: No module named hid
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.targets.smartcard_readers.pcsc: Smartcard libraries are missing
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.common.traces.TraceContainerMySQL: No module named umysql
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.capture.auxiliary.FrequencyMeasure: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.decimation_clock_recovery: No module named matplotlib.mlab
INFO:Could not import module: chipwhisperer.analyzer.preprocessing.resync_resample_zc: No module named matplotlib.mlab
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon’s address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
INFO:Found ChipWhisperer-Lite, Serial Number = 53313120313436373130362032303031
INFO:SAM3U Firmware version = 0.11 b0
INFO:FPGA programmed
INFO:OpenADC Found, Connecting
INFO:Scope Connected
ERROR:Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/ui/programmers_dialog.py”, line 173, in readFuses
self.avr.close()
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 126, in close
self.avr.enableISP(False)
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py”, line 264, in enableISP
self._avrDoWrite(self.ISP_CMD_LEAVE_PROGMODE_ISP, [self._chip.predelay, self._chip.postdelay])
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py”, line 230, in _avrDoWrite
self._usb.usbdev().ctrl_transfer(0x41, self.CMD_AVR_PROGRAM, cmd, 0, data, timeout=self._timeout)
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/core.py”, line 711, in ctrl_transfer
self.__get_timeout(timeout)
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 836, in ctrl_transfer
timeout))
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 571, in _check
raise USBError(_str_error[ret], ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
USBError: [Errno 32] Pipe error

ERROR:Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/ui/programmers_dialog.py”, line 153, in readSignature
self.avr.find()
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/capture/api/programmers.py”, line 74, in find
self.avr.enableISP(True)
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py”, line 261, in enableISP
self._chip.bytedelay, self._chip.pollvalue, self._chip.pollindex, 0xAC, 0x53, 0, 0])
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py”, line 234, in _avrDoWrite
status = self._avrDoRead(cmd=0x0020, dlen=2)
File “/home/widget/prog/chipwhisperer/software/chipwhisperer/hardware/naeusb/programmer_avr.py”, line 247, in _avrDoRead
return self._usb.usbdev().ctrl_transfer(0xC1, self.CMD_AVR_PROGRAM, cmd, 0, dlen, timeout=self._timeout)
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/core.py”, line 711, in ctrl_transfer
self.__get_timeout(timeout)
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 836, in ctrl_transfer
timeout))
File “/home/widget/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 571, in _check
raise USBError(_str_error[ret], ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
USBError: [Errno 110] Operation timed out
[/code]

Aha solved it, found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67

I originally assumed the SAM3U being too fast was no longer true, but it is, my pocket scope only goes up to 340kHz, I guess it’s running at 0.5MHz? I took the ATmega out, used an Arduino with an ISP sketch on it to program the lfuse to D0 (which then stopped it working with the Arduino as I didn’t have a spare XTAL to hand) and turned CLKGEN on and it worked.

Nice find Ned! I’ve added a few links to the Notduino Wiki page to try to make this a bit more visible.