LASCAR on the Virtual Machine

Hello, I am having issues with LASCAR on the VirtualBox machine. I know it is due to the fact that the lascar python package is not installed; however, due to the VM not being able to access the internet, I do not know how to go about installing it.

I have considered installing from source, but lascar has several dependencies that are also not install–keras, sklearn, etc. So this would be quite the rabbit hole of trying to independently install all these different packages, and the dependencies, and the dependencies’ dependencies, etc.

Is there a version of the .pyenv environment that comes with all necessary packages installed? Or is there a recommended method for exposing the VM to the internet so I can go about installing them? I have tried several methods for exposing the VM, but each time it resulted in DNS lookup errors–so the VM has not even been able to connect to the DNS servers.

Thanks for your Help!!

Brett

Hi Brett,

Your VM can still access the internet in the default mode (NAT). The setup here is similar to a router, where outbound connections still work, but incoming ones have to be port forwarded in VirutalBox to work.

If you’re not able to get that to work, you should be able to use pip download (pip download - pip documentation v22.2.2) to get wheel files, then move them to your VM and install from there.

Alex

Thanks for the tip.

I am able to access the internet now; however, DNS resolution still fails. I can ping an IP address directly and get a response, but as soon as I try the domain name, it fails to resolve. I have tried different methods of forwarding port 53 between the host and VM, but nothing has worked up to this point.

Any recommendations? Is there a specific port configuration you know of that can resolve this?

Thank you, again.

Brett

I should also state that I am back to trying to resolve the network issues after I have also tried the pip download method. While it seems to work on my Ubuntu linux host machine, I was unable to get it to work with the VM even when using the exact same files and exact same commands.

I am currently working to see if this issue is caused by my host machine where I downloaded the wheel files being Ubuntu and the ChipWhisperer VM being Debian, but either way, I would appreciate help with the networking issue.

Thanks,

Brett

Hi Brett,

Your host machine might be blocking the DNS traffic - there shouldn’t be any need to do port forwarding to get DNS to work. Are you able to ping your DNS server from the VM?

For the download, you might have to specify the python version and platform as well. You can get the version via distutils: PEP 425 – Compatibility Tags for Built Distributions | peps.python.org

Alex