PA DPA 3-AES DPA Attack timeout

Hello,

When I try to capture the data in PA DPA 3-AES DPA Attack tutorial I get an error:

WARNING:root:Trigger not found in ADC data. No data reported!
c:\chipwhisperer5_32\chipwhisperer\software\chipwhisperer_init_.py:289: UserWarning: Timeout happened during capture
warnings.warn(“Timeout happened during capture”)
WARNING:root:Trigger not found in ADC data. No data reported!

I don’t know whats causing it. Can someone help me with this?

I have chipwhisperer lite and ATMXMEGA. Thanks.

Hi, this error is indicating that the target is not responding. Are you certain that you’ve programmed the target? Have you been able to run any other tutorial with this target?

Jean-Pierre

On CW5?

Try hitting the reset button on your target while running an initial capture of about 20 traces or so without adding them to your project. It should start capturing. Then proceed to do your actual capture.

I had an issue like this earlier and that seemed to resolve the issue each time it occurred for me.

Hi,

I’m having the exact same issue with mine actually. Usually I get lots of these warnings afterwards:

WARNING:root:Timeout in OpenADC capture(), trigger FORCED

Pretty sure my setup is right… Any ideas?

Thanks
James

Can you tell me more about your setup (software and hardware)?

This is basically what I have, CW308 + STM32F4.

And on the SW side: host OS, CW version? Do other tutorials work and just not this one? Are you able to program the target successfully? The more info we have, the easier it is to diagnose.

In the Jupyter notebook, did you use PLATFORM = CW308_STM32F4 ?

Other thing to check:

• be 100% sure your USB cable is good
  • are you connecting your PC directly to the CW1173 or through a USB hub?
  • if using a VM, set the VM USB controller to xHCI (USB 3)

Jean-Pierre

So I’m on Ubuntu 18, CW5. Pretty much the latest of everything taken from github. I’m pretty sure I can program the target. I’ve tried changing the platform like you said in the past and it did work for a while after that but then it didn’t. I amusing a USB hub, perhaps that’s the issue?

Also when I change the platform, I get the following error when I run ‘make PLATFORM=$1 CRYPTO_TARGET=$2’

In file included from …/./hal/stm32f4/stm32f4_hal.c:3:0:
…/./hal/stm32f4/stm32f4_hal_lowlevel.h:108:0: warning: “STM32F415xx” redefined
#define STM32F415xx

:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from …/./hal/stm32f4/stm32f4_hal_lowlevel.c:39:0:
…/./hal/stm32f4/stm32f4_hal_lowlevel.h:108:0: warning: “STM32F415xx” redefined
#define STM32F415xx

:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition