Scope = cw.scope() command is not running with CW305

Yes, I unplugged + replugged my ChipWhisperer many times and also restarted my computer. But still, I am getting the same error. I installed ChipWhisperer 5.5 directly (no VM and no Jupiter notebooks).

ValueError: The device has no langid (permission issue, no string descriptors supported or device error)

That’s strange! I’ve only ever seen the langid issue pop up on Windows when there’s a 32-bit vs 64-bit mismatch between Python and the driver library used (it should be 64-bit always now).

What do the LEDs look like on your ChipWhisperer? When you first plug it in, the red LED should briefly flash and the blue LED should flash continuously.

After reinstalling the driver, it’s working fine now!

Another question:
Do I need to always press the reset button (or power off and on) during FPGA re-configuration?. otherwise I am getting the following error when re-running the python code (PA_HW_CW305_1-Attacking_AES_on_an_FPGA):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\ChipWhisperer5_64\projects\testcapture.py”, line 121, in
assert (scope.clock.adc_locked), “ADC failed to lock”
AssertionError: ADC failed to lock

This is your ChipWhisperer-Lite’s PLL losing its lock on the clock. Simply running scope.clock.reset_adc() should fix things.
Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,
Yes, I have already added the command scope.clock.reset_adc() in my python code.
My question is my python code (capture.py) working correctly if I am running it the first time. However, I am getting the following error when I am re-running (2nd time) the same python code without press the reset button of the CW305 board (or power off and on).

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\ChipWhisperer5_64\projects\testcapture.py”, line 121, in
AssertionError: ADC failed to lock

Sometimes you may need to rerun the reset_adc(); assert scope.clock.adc_locked sequence more than once.

Also if your code is running correctly the first time, and you don’t make any changes to the CW clock, there is no need to reset the ADC again. Maybe I could understand better what you’re trying to do if you share your complete script. Ultimately there should be no need to do any kind of manual reset.

Thank you, now it is working fine without press the reset button after I added 2 times the following commands in my python code:
scope.clock.reset_adc()

Hi Alex,
How many key and text bits are generating from the following command (i.e., CW305 AES tutorial)?
key, text = ktp.next() # manual creation of a key, text pair can be substituted here
Which python file I need to edit if I am going to increase the size of key or text bytes (ex 1024 bits)

You should be able to change ktp._key_len and ktp._text_len.