Unable to communicate with found ChipWhisperer

I rebooted my computer, because my pico scope software locked up. Now that works but after launching the VM I cannot get the CWLITE to communicate with the VM. This has been working for the past few days, even between reboots.

I stopped the pages that were open, closed them and reopened them. I decided to start simple and try connecting to Hardware jupyter book first.

This is what I get

Unable to communicate with found ChipWhisperer.

I unplugged my CWLite and tried the CWNANO that I have been using. Same issue.

I also rebooted the VM.

I’m not sure why this happened. I logged in an did

sudo dmesg

to see it was connected. It was, and now both of them work.

So I switched to the NANO and I still get this.

I rebooted the VM, unplugged the NANO and tried again.

I think I saw something like this a few years ago, where you needed to log in before being able to connect, but not since then. Can you post what version of VirtualBox you’re using?


I tried a second CWLITE same thing.


Its been working for the past few days.

I logged in, unplugged the CWLITE and replugged it in, still the same.

I also stopped and started the jupyter page.

So I shut everything down it still didn’t work, but then when I logged into the VM it did. So if I switch between CWNANO and CWLITE, will I need to reboot my entire computer every time?

No, you definitely shouldn’t need to reboot your computer to switch between devices. It looks like unplugging+replugging while the VM is on doesn’t work. If you have the device connected before booting the VM, then boot the VM and login, does that consistently work for you?


If I reboot the VM and log in and plug in the CWLITE, it does work.

But I have to reboot the VM.

So, just to confirm, the following works with the Lite:

  1. Unplugging the Lite
  2. Rebooting the VM
  3. Logging in
  4. Plugging the Lite in

I’m wondering if this might be related to updates to 50-newae.rules. Can you try logging into the VM and running the following commands and seeing if this fixes the issue for you:

sudo mv /etc/udev/rules.d/50-newae.rules ~/50-newae.rules.bak
echo "SUBSYSTEMS==\"usb\", ATTRS{idVendor}==\"2b3e\", ATTRS{idProduct}==\"*\", MODE=\"0664\", GROUP=\"plugdev\"" > 50-newae.rules
sudo mv 50-newae.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev $USER
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo reboot


That seemed to stabilize things.

1 Like

Good to hear. The current method makes more sense if you’re installing manually on a Linux system, but this older method probably makes more sense for the VM. I’ll get that changed up for the next release.