Use Zedborad as target board running with AES- attack with H field probe

Hello, I am trying to use H-field probe and CPA attack with ChipWhisperer as attack board and Xilinx Zedboard as target board. I have watched the tutoriel video of H probe many times, but I have many questions about how to connect the 20 pin cable of chipWhisperer when attacking other target boards. Does the 20 pin cable not need to be connected when I attack other embedded systems equipment?

Also, I would like to ask how to implement a windowed chipWhisperer capture display as in previous years, other than jupyter?

The best way to learn the role of the 20-pin connector is to go through some of the Jupyter tutorials. Short version:

1. what you absolutely need:
    • a trigger to the CW capture board (traditionally on IO4)
  2. what is really nice to have:
    • a clock sourced by CW and fed to the target (HS2), or the target’s clock for CW to use (HS1)
  3. what’s optional:
    • a means of communicating with the target; most of our targets use IO1/IO2 as a UART link

Thank you very to reply me!
You mean that when i try to attack Zedborad with H-probe, i also need to connect some pin between 20-pin connector and Zedborad?

Yes - to add a bit more detail:

1. Your ChipWhisperer capture board needs to know when to start the power trace capture – that’s the “trigger” on IO4
  2. ChipWhisperer works best when power traces are captured synchronously with the target clock, and that means either (a) CW drives the target clock or (b) the target clock is given to CW
  3. It’s very useful for CW to have some means of communicating with the target; in almost all of our examples, this is done via UART.

Jean-Pierre

1 Like