Vcc glitch setup

Hi,

I would like to Vcc glitch a target connected through the CW308. I looked at the schematics, and at Alex Dewar’s answer about making a fully custom target here (Trigger not found in ADC data. No data reported!), and the requirements to use it with chipwhisperer.
I tried to connect everything according to the provided info, but I think I missed something.

The setup is the following:
CW Lite connected through 20-pin J1 to CW308.
J4 set to cw as Vref
J3 to H2S/OUT
J16 not set at all
LDO-s set to CW/J1
The target gets power from the 3.3V output of the J11 side, through a 4Ohm, approximately 6W power rated resistor(shunt). The high side of the shunt is connected to ground through a 1microFarad capacitor (I left out the 0,1uF capacitor, as can be seen on some NewAE provided targets). The target side of the shunt resistor is connected to the CW308 SMA, which should get the glitch from the glitch output of the CW Lite, since I connected them. My target is a cortex-M4 ARM. I did not connect the target’s clock, but generated one with the (almost) same frequency.

The cw scope settings are the following:
clk_src = clkgen
width = 10.15625
width_fine = 0
offset = -19.921875
offset_fine = 0
trigger_src = ext_single
arm_timing = after_scope
ext_offset = 0
repeat = 3
output = glitch_only

cwlite Device
gain =
mode = low
gain = 0
db = 5.5
adc =
state = True
basic_mode = rising_edge
timeout = 2
offset = 0
presamples = 0
samples = 10000
decimate = 1
trig_count = 324538461
clock =
adc_src = clkgen_x1
adc_phase = 0
adc_freq = 96000000
adc_rate = 96000000.0
adc_locked = True
freq_ctr = 0
freq_ctr_src = clkgen
clkgen_src = system
extclk_freq = 10000000
clkgen_mul = 2
clkgen_div = 3
clkgen_freq = 64000000.0
clkgen_locked = True
trigger =
triggers = tio4
module = basic
io =
tio1 = high_z
tio2 = high_z
tio3 = high_z
tio4 = high_z
pdid = high_z
pdic = high_z
nrst = high_z
glitch_hp = True
glitch_lp = False
extclk_src = hs1
hs2 = None
target_pwr = True
glitch =
clk_src = clkgen
width = 10.15625
width_fine = 0
offset = -19.921875
offset_fine = 0
trigger_src = ext_single
arm_timing = after_scope
ext_offset = 0
repeat = 3
output = glitch_only

However, when I look at the SHUNTL output with an oscilloscope, I cannot find any disturbance apart from minimal noise in the power output of the chipwhisperer. The blue “trigger armed” LED is lit up. Of course I can get the disturbance shown when I disconnect the power by hand, ruling out measurement error on the oscilloscope side.

The glitching is done with these lines(inside multiple loops):

glitch_on(scope)
scope.arm()

ret = scope.capture()
if ret:
    print('Timeout happened during acquisition')

glitch_off(scope)

Do you have any idea, why I cannot see a glitch, neither timeout error, with continous arming present(not even with glitch_hp)?

Best regards,
Norbert

1 Like

Hi Norbert,

The settings you have look good. Just to rule out any issues with triggers, can you try calling scope.glitch.manual_trigger()? Can you try some different offsets and a larger glitch width? Changing the offset here should ensure there’s nothing weird going on with the clock used to generate the glitch. Increasing the width should make sure your glitch is actually powerful enough to make it to the target.

One final thing to try is to change scope.glitch.output to "enable_only". This will enable the glitch for an entire clock cycle (or multiple if repeat > 1). Be a little conservative with this option, as you might burn out the glitching FET if you leave it on for too long.

Alex

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed description Alex.
I tried with glitch width from 40 to 49, and with offset from -20 to 40. Ext offset from 0 to 15 and 1000 to 1005. But I could not detect any actual glitch. Then I tried manual_trigger(), and enable_only setting too, but only with 1 as repeat. So basically everything. Ext continuous trigger wouldn’t help either.
Then I replaced the target with a 470 Ohm 1/2W resistor, the shunt with a high power potmeter set at first to 10, then 30 Ohms. Still nothing, with the testing of the above mentioned parameters. The IRF7807 FET used, should handle the currents without any issues.
Then I tried the Vcc Glitch example with the XMega target, and I could see glitching with the lp and hp FETs too, so my CWLite is not damaged.

Just to be sure, I add here the circuit diagram of this basic “target”, where no glitch happened:
kép

As one can see, I use only sys ground, the 3,3V from J1, and the SMA for injecting at ShuntL, from the UFO board. I measure at TP5.

Do you have any other idea? I have a feeling I am overlooking something.

1 Like

Hi Norbert,

I think I’ve found it: the glitch clock is derived from the ChipWhisperer’s clock. It’s at 64MHz, meaning you need to scale it way up (a little over 8x) to get the same glitch effect as you would at 7.37MHz. You’ll definitely need to do a somewhat large repeat at that frequency. Try a repeat around 4 or 5 and try scaling up beyond that.

Alex